The holidays are just around the corner and I am sure that at least 75% of people have already thought about the possibility of gaining that extra holiday weight. Who can resist all the deliciousness? Rather than deprive myself, I am trying to eat really healthy beforehand.
This recipe is full of fiber and protein to help you stay fuller longer. It’s cheap to make and delicious. You could serve it as a side dish or as a vegetarian main course.
Pinto Bean and Hominy Salad (from The Homesick Texan)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughtly chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, add the pinto beans, hominy, onion, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and peppers. Toss to combined.
Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, cumin, and smoked paprika. Pour over the salad and stir. Add the feta cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Serves 4.