I got lucky this week. Snow peas and shiitake mushrooms on serious manager discount at the grocery! Think at least $5 savings!
Beef, Shiitake, and Snow Pea Stir-fry (a variation from Bon Appetit, Oct 2010)
- 1 lb stir fry steak
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces snow peas
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced, divided
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and mushrooms; stir-fry until mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Add beef to skillet; stir-fry until beef browns but is still pink in center, about 1 minute. Add snow peas, orange pepper, half of green onions, and half of cilantro; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, and five-spice powder; sauté until peas are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and cilantro.
Looks delicious, but does it have an orange pepper in there as it looks like some slices.
It does. I forgot to add that to the ingredient list… Thanks for reminding me 🙂
I think the shiitake and the ginger puts a nice spin on this dish. 🙂
Thanks! I have made this several times. Still love it.
Mmmm, Anna, time to go grocery shopping! Great photo too!