Perhaps the best thing about this recipe is that you can throw the ingredients in the crockpot and walk away. Hours later, you come back to a warm bowl of delicious soup. This is a go-to recipe for me, especially when I know I will be working a lot.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box (32 ounce) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips, cheddar cheese, cilantro, lime, sour cream as desired for garnish
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilis, black beans and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Remove chicken breasts and shred the meat. Stir back into soup. Garnish as desired.
This sounds like a winner and a keeper! ~ Lynda
It really is. Let me know if you try it!
David Hicks said:
Since the beer was not in the recipe, I assume that you used it in your stomach.
you assume correctly 😉
Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide said:
Looks spicy and super good!
This is one of those soups you can eat way too much of!!!
I just made this for dinner and it was SO GOOD! I put a little less chicken stock and a little more enchilada sauce. I’d suggest browning the onions before putting them in or dicing them because it takes them longer than the other stuff to cook. Overall, delicious!! And I have leftovers!!
Thanks Liz! I am so glad you liked it. Were you able to share with Beth and Amy or is it just more for you?