I love pasta. It provides a fantastic palate on which you can paint a gorgeous flavor picture. The possibilities are endless. Today’s recipe is a variation of another recipe whose origin I cannot remember. This is vegetarian though adding chicken would up the heartiness and flavor.
Pasta with Red Bell Peppers, Kalamata Olives, and Mushrooms
- 8 oz whole wheat linguine
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 16 Kalamata olives, pitted, quartered
- 12 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for passing
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, olives, garlic, crushed red pepper, and mushrooms. Sauté until bell peppers are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add drained pasta, 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid, 1 cup basil, 1 cup cheese, and vinegar. Toss until sauce coats pasta, adding more reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if dry, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.